Different Types of Fire Extinguishers
- Fire Extinguishers have a Class A rating and are suitable for fighting fires involving solid combustibles such as wood, paper, and textiles.
- Electrical equipment should be avoided when using a water extinguishers (unless water with additive are used), as water is a conductor.
- AFFF Foam fire extinguishers are highly effective on Class A and Class B fires (the foam agent helps to prevent re-ignition).
- Some foam extinguishers have been diametrically tested to 35,000 volt (35kv) and can be used on or near electrical appliances.
Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
- CO2 fire extinguishers were originally designed for use on flammable liquid fires, and therefore have a Class B fire rating.
- They are ideal for electrical fires, CO2 is not a conductor and they do not leave behind any harmful residue.
- ABC Powder fire extinguishers are extremely versatile and can be used on Class A, Class B, Class C, and electrical fires.
- They are available in a range of sizes from 1-9 kg and ideal for application in environments containing mixed fire risks. However, there is a risk of inhalation when using powder extinguishers and therefore not recommended for use within small rooms, homes, ad offices.
- Water mist fire extinguishers are highly effective on Class A, B, C, F, and electrical fires.
- The unique design of the water mist extinguishers' supersonic nozzle creates a microscope mist curtain, reducing the oxygen content. Water mist extinguishers are also safe on fires caused by electricity, as the water mist does not conduct electricity and the water mist does not form puddles which could lead to electrocution.
- Wet chemical fire extinguishers are designed specifically for use on fires involving combustible cooking media such as burning oil and fat.
- They have a Class F rating and a special lance applicator nozzle. They usually have an additional Class A rating and are normally not designed for use on Class B fires (petrol, diesel, paint, paraffin etc.), although the 31tr Gloria wet chemical firs extinguisher is an exception.
Call SERVPRO of Piatt/Dewitt for any of your fire needs, 24/7 at (217) 935-2992. (LB)